Wednesday, November 28, 2007

New Middlesbrough bishop named by Pope

Monsignor Terence Drainey has been named as the new Bishop of Middlesbrough by Pope Benedict.

Since June 2003, Mgr Drainey has served as president of St Cuthbert’s College at Ushaw.

On accepting the appointment, Manchester-born Mgr Drainey, 58, said: “I give thanks to Almighty God for all his gifts and blessing, especially the gift of priestly ministry. I personally thank the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, for appointing me to Middlesbrough and for allowing me to serve the Church as a bishop here."

“All my life as a priest I have only wanted to be a pastor serving the Lord and his people wherever the Church has sent me. So I sincerely rejoice to be given the ministry of pastor to this great diocese, which is so rich in lives faithful to the Gospel throughout history and to this present day.”

The Diocese of Middlesbrough covers most of north Yorkshire, the whole of east Yorkshire, some parts of County Durham, the cities of York and Hull and the town of Middlesbrough.

Bishop-elect Drainey will be ordained as the seventh Bishop of Middlesbrough on January 25, 2008.

He said he would complete the current academic term at Ushaw before undertaking his new role.

“In the meantime, I ask for prayers: prayers for your former Bishop, John Crowley; for those who have run the diocese since his resignation; prayers for the good of all the people of this Church, and finally prayers that I might be a good and effective pastor,” he said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce