Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pope Benedict Appoints New Bishop Of Killaloe

Pope Benedict XVI has today appointed the Very Reverend Fr. Kieran O’Reilly S.M.A. as the new Bishop of Killaloe.

The announcement was made today in Rome at 11am (GMT) today (but flagged here on CW yesterday).

The 57-year old native of Cork City succeeds Dr. Willie Walsh, who tendered his resignation to the Vatican in January.

The newly appointed Bishop is a member of the Society of African Missions.

Ordained to priesthood in 1978 he worked for some years in Liberia and Nigeria.

He later did post graduate work in Sacred Scripture and lectured in their seminary in Nigeria.

Elected Superior General of the Society in 2001 he was re-elected in 2007 for a further six years.

Responding to his nomination by the Pope Benedict Fr. O’Reilly said: To say that my reaction on learning of my appointment to succeed Bishop Willie Walsh as Bishop of Killaloe was one of surprise would not be an understatement. But in a spirit of service I accept this appointment and express my gratitude to Pope Benedict XVI for asking me to take on this ministry of service and leadership in the Church of Killaloe.

“I am honoured and humbled by the appointment, which brings with it many mixed feelings. It is an honour for my family – my parents, sisters and brother and the Society of African Missions.”

“It is going to take time to understand all that is involved in being a bishop, it will be a great privilege to serve in Killaloe, and I look forward to all that lies ahead. I would like to acknowledge the work of the priests of the Diocese who have been faithfully and diligently carrying out their ministry in a difficult time for the Irish Church. My first task, when I get to Ireland, will be to meet the priests, people, and religious of the diocese to listen to them and to learn about the Diocese in all its different areas of ministry.“

“At the same time, I am saddened at leaving the leadership role I hold in the Society of African Missions at a time of rapid change and development within the Society. The members of the Society of African Missions have been my second family for forty years, they have nurtured my missionary priesthood, given me constant support and encouragement, and endless opportunities to learn and to serve as a missionary on many different levels of the Society in Ireland, Africa and Rome. Called by the Holy Spirit to this new ministry as Bishop of the Diocese of Killaloe I pray that with the people of the Diocese we will together chart a way forward for the Church and be able “to grasp the breadth and the length, the height and the depth” of the mystery of God’s love for each one of us. (Ephesians 3:18)”, added Fr. O’Reilly.

SIC: TCH