Thursday, September 03, 2026

'You'll be sorely missed by many': Heartbreak as beloved Limerick priest bids farewell

BELOVED Limerick priest Fr Chris O’Donnell is saying goodbye to the Ballyhoura region after seven years in the area.

The popular cleric had been serving in Kilmallock/Ballingaddy, Bulgaden/Martinstown, Effin/Garrienderk, Glenroe/Ballyorgan, Kilfinane and Ardpatrick.

Fr O’Donnell told Limerick Live: “I will remember my time with great fondness as it has been a total privilege to serve the people of this area. There is so much good here and to be part of these communities has been a blessing.”

He credited the members of the local community with making his time in the area special: “I have loved my time with the young people and getting to work with them. We are blessed with the principals, teachers and staff in the local schools who have been a pleasure to work with. Also the parishioners who serve in various ministries, especially our sacristans have encouraged me no end as they give of their time to keep faith alive and to encourage community and belonging.

“The people who worship with us every day naturally have a special place in our hearts as their quiet daily witness nourishes us. Equally the people who come every weekend, those who continue to practice their faith in the midst of the busyness of their lives and the challenges they face have inspired me.”

Fr Chris said that priesthood isn't just about “what we try to offer to people but it is also about what we receive from our people in terms of friendship and fun and faith”.

“The area is large and the demands are great and so it can be overwhelming at times but I have been blessed to work with good priests here. Canon Michael as Moderator has been a great example and colleague and friend as have the other priests especially Bishop John Flemming and Fr Pat Bluett who are currently retired here.

“I cannot but miss this area. It is a beautiful side of Limerick with great people.”

Asked for his favourite memory from his time in the area, he said: “There are no outstanding moments as it has been through the day-to-day life here that I have been truly blessed. While at times the work has been all consuming and sometimes you might wonder can you sustain it, the best thing has been just the warmth and kindness of the people both young and old.”

Fr Chris celebrated his last Mass in the area last weekend, which he described as “a lovely weekend”.

“I have been totally humbled by the lengths local people went to in organising the night and I am deeply appreciative and I have been greatly humbled by the people who turned up and their kindness. It was a lovely parish night and the great sense of community spirit that was evident showed the importance of community and belonging which is at the heart of our faith.”

Relocating to a new region is a bittersweet experience for him.

“Moving is a difficult and yet an important part of the ministry. Leaving the priests you have worked with and the parishioners you have served is lonely, not to mention the ordeal involved in moving house! No doubt for all of the priests who are moving it is a busy time filled with lots of emotion.”

He continued: “In the midst of the loneliness of leaving I look forward to serving the people in my new parishes. People are great wherever you go and I look forward to getting to know and love my new parishioners. If I am lucky enough to be as happy there as I have been here I have a lot to look forward to!”

In a post on Facebook, Kilmallock GAA Club thanked Fr Chris for “everything”, adding that he will “always have a special place in the hearts of the people of Kilmallock”.

“Kilmallock will certainly be a little different without you, and you will be sorely missed by so many”.

Kilmallock & District Community Council also wrote a post on Facebook about his departure, saying: “Kilmallock has been so incredibly lucky to have had you with us, and today is a very sad day for our whole community.”

The post continued: “We will never see the likes of you again. There was, and always will be, something very special about Father Chris.

“Thank you for every conversation, every visit, every smile, every bit of encouragement and every moment you gave to the people of Kilmallock.

“Go with our very best wishes and every blessing for the future. You will be missed more than you will every know.”