Thursday, September 24, 2026

Former bus driver begins new journey as priest in Omagh

A FORMER Translink bus driver and inspector who was ordained as a priest earlier this year has been appointed to help serve the parishes of Drumragh and Cappagh.

Fr Stephen Baxter, who spent 19 years working for Translink before entering the seminary, has taken up his first appointment as curate in the two Omagh-based parishes.

He will work alongside Parish Priest and administrator of Drumragh, Fr Kevin McElhennon, and Fr Malachy Gallagher, helping minister to one of the largest urban populations in the Derry Diocese.

Fr Baxter was ordained in June in St Columb’s Church in the Waterside, after studying for the priesthood by attending the Scots College seminary in Salamanca.

He had previously studied philosophy for two years in Maynooth and then Theology for four years in Rome.

“Before entering seminary, I attended St Columb’s College in Derry, working for six years in Stewarts and Tesco supermarkets. Then I worked for 19 years as a bus driver and inspector for Translink.

“Since ordination, I have been based in the Waterside helping out as required and I am now delighted to have received my first appointment to Omagh.

“I am looking forward to my time in your parishes and I thank Fr Kevin and Fr Malachy for the welcome that they have given me to the parishes.”

There have been just two priests serving the parishes of Drumragh and Cappagh since the late Parish Priest of Drumragh, Fr Eugene Hasson, became ill. He died in January this year.

While there were once as many as nine priests serving Omagh town, Killyclogher and the surrounding rural areas, Fr McElhennon and Fr Gallagher have been the only two in active ministry for just over a year.

The shortage has resulted in a reduction in the number of weekday and weekend Masses celebrated across the parishes.