Thursday, May 21, 2026

Man accused of posing as priest seeks reconciliation with Catholic Church

A man previously warned by the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro for allegedly posing as a priest has expressed repentance and sought reconciliation with the Roman Catholic Church.

In a statement dated May 12, the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro said Ruel Ucat “earnestly sought forgiveness for his past actions” and met with Archbishop Jose Cabantan to discuss his intentions.

Following the meeting, Ucat resigned from his previous religious affiliation and expressed his desire to return to full communion with the Roman Catholic Church as a layperson, the archdiocese said.

“In doing so, he seeks to renew his faith and reaffirm his commitment to the Church and its teachings,” the statement added.

The announcement comes days after the archdiocese warned the public about Ucat, who was identified in a May 7 statement as a man allegedly posing as a Roman Catholic priest without clerical authority.

At that time, the archdiocese said he was neither ordained nor incardinated in any recognized Catholic jurisdiction and had no authority to administer sacraments.

Church officials also cautioned the faithful against a group linked to him, saying it was not a recognized religious institute within the Catholic Church.