Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Bishop of Tuam Limerick and Killaloe Offers Sympathy On Death Of Bishop Donal Murray

I have conveyed to Bishop Brendan Leahy my sympathy and that of our diocese on the death of Bishop Donal Murray.

Bishop Murray made a large and positive impact on so many aspects of church life in this part of Ireland. He was an administrator, a thinker, a gifted  pastor and an ecumenist. He knew too of the travails of life, recognised his duty to make personally costly decisions , and acted with humility and grace in doing so.

I came to know him well when he kindly acted as the Roman Catholic observer on our Commission on Episcopal Ministry and Structures some years ago. His interventions were scholarly, shrewd and good – humoured, offering a refreshing perspective on matters from episcopal elections to diocesan reconfiguration.

At my enthronement in Limerick in May 2022 Bishop Leahy gave me a copy of Bishop Murray’s little devotional book ‘What are we waiting for?’ It sits constantly on my desk to this day. It is a study of our human pursuit of truth, beauty and goodness. It links me also to two godly bishops – its writer who wields his pen so gently and fluently, and its donor who gave his beloved predecessor such wonderful pastoral care during recent difficult years and amid declining health. 

Again, my sympathy to the bishop, priests and people of the Roman Catholic diocese of Limerick at this time of parting.

Michael Burrows
Bishop of Tuam Limerick and Killaloe