Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Meet Bishop Tom Kiiza, the Antiochian rite head

Until Saturday, October 29, little was known of the head of the Evangelical Orthodox Church (EOC), a splinter group from the Roman Catholic Church that follows the Eastern (Antiochian) rite of Catholicism.

In fact many adherents of the Antiochian rite did not know who their presiding bishop was. All they knew was Rev Fr Jacinto Kibuuka, who fell out with Kampala Archbishop Dr Cyprian Kizito Lwanga over his charismatic preaching.

Born on December 5, 1976 at Bweera in Kasese, Dr Tom Sibayirwa Kiiza is the pioneer bishop of the EOC in Uganda but with churches under his jurisdiction in Benue state, Nigeria and Texas, USA.

He attended primary school at Kamukumbi in Kasese between 1983 and 1990. In 1991, aspiring to become a Catholic priest, Kiiza enrolled at St Mary’s Seminary Virika in Fort Portal until August 1999 when he joined the Consolanta Missionaries. 

They took him to their Kenyan seminary for further formation studies, graduating in 2002 with a bachelor’s degree in Philosophy and Religious Studies.

He was then posted to Mozambique for pastoral work for a year, giving him opportunity to travel to Portugal and South Africa. In 2003, he went back to Kenya and joined the Catholic University of East Africa (CUEA) for a Master of Arts degree in Theology, graduating in 2007.

“That is when I crossed to EOC because my mind and conscience told me I wouldn’t be happy under the Roman Catholic Church; so, I wrote a letter requesting to be allowed to leave, and I was allowed,” Kiiza told The Observer. “I was never suspended. I left on my own and once they accepted my request to leave, I was let free to serve God in any church.”

In 2008, he enrolled for a joint Master’s and doctoral program in Religious Studies and Theology at St James Seminary Florida, USA, which is operated by the Holy Catholic Church International, and an affiliate of Dayspring Christian University.

He got his PhD in 2011 two years after his consecration as bishop of EOU at a low-key function held at a hotel in Namugongo near Kampala.

“I was ordained on September 17, 2009 by Archbishop Rodney P Rickard. In fact it is that day that we consider as the birth of EOC in Uganda,” Kiiza said.

Despite being a bishop of a faction of the Catholic Church, he got a teaching job at CUEA in 2011 until 2013 when Mountains of the Moon University, Fort Portal, hired him as academic registrar.

“I am also in community development running an NGO, Ekisande Rural Development Centre in Kasese. I also run a number of schools, health centres and orphanage support programs,” Kiiza said.

Kiiza is married to Reena Daurave from Kerala, India.