Thursday, October 10, 2024

CWI : Operation TRUTH (12)

The grieving husband of controversial cleric Bishop Pat Buckley was caught up in a barroom brawl this week over his former lover’s legacy, the Sunday World has learned.

Eduardo Yanga (46) received a black eye and other bruising to his face and body during the punch-up which happened on Monday evening in a pub in Larne.

Both parties involved openly admitted to us that blows were exchanged and blood was drawn during an argument over Buckley’s former home.

Sporting a serious shiner, Philippines-born Eduardo met the Sunday World this week and he showed us deep black and blue marks on his eye, face and body.

But he also openly admitted punching retired bus driver Paul ‘Chico’ Keenan (60) and throwing a metal bin at him which struck him on the face.

He said: “I was in the pub enjoying a drink with an older man. We were chatting about me remaining in the home I shared with Bishop Pat.

“I said I was remaining in the Parochial House at the Oratory because that is what Pat had wanted me to do.

“Suddenly, Paul Keenan poked his nose in and he told me to get out of the house because he owned it along with the rest of the Catholic community in Larne.

“There were others with him and I thought Keenan was about to strike the older man because he had told Keenan and the others to leave me alone.

“I wasn’t going to let that happen, so I stood in front of the older man with my arms outstretched. Suddenly I felt a massive blow to my left ribcage. One of them had punched me.

“I decided I wasn’t going to take it, so I punched Keenan on the nose. I was wearing a ring Pat had given me and I think it might have caught Keenan on the nose, drawing blood.

“But they all kept battering me and Keenan punched me on the face giving me a black eye. I grabbed metal bin and threw it at Keenan, who was the most aggressive of them all. I think it hit him on the nose.

“I then grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed them all with foam in the same way lion tamers do with big cats. It forced them back.

“But they grabbed me and threw me down a flight of stairs outside the pub.

“When I got to my feet, I phoned the police and when they arrived they put me into the police car and drove me home.

“I had to go to Antrim Hospital to have my injuries checked over,” said Eduardo.

And reflecting on what happened, he jokingly added: “If that’s typical of the Catholic community in Larne, I think I’d rather be a Protestant!”

County Offaly-born priest Pat Buckley was the self-proclaimed leader of the Oratory Society Catholic Church, which he founded after a fall-out with the mainstream Down and Connor Diocese.

And for many years, Buckley based himself in a former Parochial House in the port town, until he passed away suddenly in May, aged 72. He had previously served as Parish Priest in the port town.

His home was a large sandstone mansion on Princes Gardens off the town’s Glenarm Road. The property is owned by the Diocese of Down and Connor.

But when the Church hierarchy took Buckley to court in an attempt to force him out, he claimed squatters’ rights.

And a judge agreed, adding that Bishop Buckley’s estate should have full access to the property for a full three months after his death.

Six weeks ago, the Sunday World reported that Eduardo Yanga was following in Pat Buckley’s footsteps by refusing to quit his home of 14 years. He too is claiming squatters’ rights.

And it appears it was this which sparked the violent pub brawl on Tuesday evening.

But when we caught up with retired bus driver Paul Keenan outside his Larne home this week, he insisted the wiry Filipino threw the first punch.

Known locally as ‘Chico’, Paul Keenan was well known in local GAA circles having been a competent hurler with Latharna Óg. He told us: “Make no mistake, this fella hit me first. And his ring caught me on the nose.

He caught my attention, because he came into the bar and after ordering a drink, he asked the woman behind the bar which toilet she wanted him to use, the ladies or the gents?

“That doesn’t happen often in a place like Larne, you know.

“He then went on about how he was taking on the Catholic Church and he was refusing to leave the Parochial House he had shared with Pat Buckley.

“I told him the Church had an agreement with Pat Buckley, not him. And I told him he should get out of the house, as it belonged to the Catholic community.

“Suddenly, he punched me on the face and as you can see, he drew blood.

“The police called to see me and I told them what happened. And they also asked me if I wanted to press charges,” he said.

And Paul Keenan, who is soon to undergo an operation to his back as a result of driving a bus for many years, added: “I told the police I would wait until I see what else happens.”

Police confirmed they were called to the scene, saying: “Police received a report of an assault in licensed premises in the Circular Road area of Larne on Monday, 30th September.

“Inquiries are ongoing, and police would ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact them on 101, quoting reference 1767 of 30/09/24.”