Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Lent calendar prayer and reflection for 14 March

They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but will they lift a finger to move them? Not they!

Matthew 23:1-12
Mohammed, 27, is a Palestinian living in a refugee camp in Lebanon. Throughout his life he has shouldered heavy burdens: unemployment, oppression and discrimination.

Many Palestinians have lived in Lebanon for decades, but are denied citizenship and face daily discrimination. 

Many are forbidden from working in professions such as law, medicine and engineering. 

Many people, like Mohammed, find it impossible to apply for any job at all because of their nationality.

Leah and Ryan, CAFOD young leaders, met with him in Lebanon where he explained his struggles.

“Living without work is no life,” Mohammed said. “I have a mother and a sister and there is no head of the household for them except me and I have no work.

“I would like to be a human, like other people, to be proud of myself and my family proud of me. Nothing is comfortable here. I am very tired because I lose hope in everything.”

Mohammed is being stripped of his dignity because of his lack of opportunity to work. 

But your support is helping people to transform their lives.

Our partner, Association Najdeh, is supporting men and particularly women in refugee camps to undertake training and find jobs, claim their human rights, to play an active role in their society and to challenge injustice.

Pray

God of all humanity, you dwell among those who are tied down. May your Holy Spirit breathe new life, so that those who are crushed are set free. Amen.