Sunday, June 22, 2008

Priest returns to parish, says he won't change

Two weeks after his controversial sermon on race sparked a national uproar, the Rev. Michael Pfleger returned Monday to his office at St. Sabina Catholic Church, expressing gratitude to Cardinal Francis George and saying activism would always be a part of him.

Pfleger said he would wait to make further comments until Mass on Sunday, when he plans to address his entire congregation for the first time since George suspended him. St. Sabina, one of the most vibrant Catholic churches in the city, is predominantly African-American and draws nearly 2,000 worshipers.

"I'm good. I'll speak Sunday and give my talk then," Pfleger said as he sifted through a desk full of papers. "I'm grateful to be back and to do what I'm called to do. I'm grateful to the cardinal for letting me back."

When asked if he was the same "Michael Pfleger" as before, he said: "I'm me. I'm not changing. This is how I've been since I've been born. I'm not changing."

Pfleger also referred specifically to a Chicago Tribune report in which a community leader questioned whether Pfleger could continue his rebellious style of activism while abiding by the rules of the Catholic Church.

"I want to say one thing today. The Tribune asked, can you be Catholic and an activist? I say, absolutely, absolutely. You cannot be Catholic and not be an activist. That's the Gospel," he said.

When asked if he believed that the cardinal understood that, Pfleger said, "I think so."

Pfleger, well-known in Chicago for his activism, unleashed a furor last month when he delivered a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ that mocked Sen. Hillary Clinton. Pfleger suggested Clinton felt entitled to the presidential nomination because she was white. After a snippet of the sermon was broadcast on YouTube, George ordered Pfleger to take a two-week leave from his priestly duties.

Though some attacked Pfleger as racist for his remarks, the priest said many others had called to express support while he was on leave from the South Side church, including Princeton scholar Cornel West and television commentator Tavis Smiley.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce