Sunday, January 28, 2007

How To Defect The Catholic Church In Ireland!!!

This I had brought to my attention by a good colleague who was perusing the necessary sites....it speaks volumes to me:

I grew tired of listening to the same old holier-than-thou rhetoric from the church. Frankly, listening to someone who once wore a swastika on their arm telling me that I am “evil” and my love for my partner is “weak love” turns my stomach.

Ironic, isn’t it, that 80% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce within the first twenty years, and yet by the pope’s definition this is the “stronger” love. As with all memberships, you add to their numbers, and by being a member of the church you add to the weigh of their voice. I decided a while back to stop being one of those numbers, and get out of the catholic church properly once and for all… it’s a lot easier than you might think. Under Vatican II, you have a right to self determination of faith (given that the Vatican II was in 1965, one can only assume for the previous 1964 years you didn’t have that choice).



The church refers this as “defection”. I rather like the sound of that, very bond-esque.Its quite simple, you mail the archbishop of Dublin, address below, and tell him under Vatican II, you wish to exercise your right to defect.

Reverend Dr Diarmuid Martin


Archbishop of Dublin and Primate of Ireland,


Archbishop's House, Drumcondra,


Dublin 9.



You’ll need to provide some additional information like where you were baptised, your parents names, godparents names, and of course the date you were baptised (and if you don't have this, your date of birth will do).



You’ll get a letter back with some reasons why you shouldn’t do this unspeakable thing, such as not being able to get married in a church, yadda yadda…. unless one intends running back into the closet, this really shouldn’t be an issue.



I wrote back explaining I was gay, and within a few days, my amended baptism certificate was sent to me with “defection” written all over it, and that was that:- no longer a Catholic. I now have it hanging on my wall, it’s a smashing conversation piece.



I have to say, I felt a lot better for doing it too. I felt I was making a little, but personal stand against the endless oppression from the church, and I was no longer counted as one of their numbers.



......it is there as your right irrespective of your reasons for wishing to defect.....exercise it at will!!!



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce