Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Major celebrations planned for return of True Cross relic to Holycross

The village of Holycross in County Tipperary looks set for major celebrations next month when the relic of the True Cross on which Jesus died returns to the Abbey.

Parish priest of Holycross, Fr Tom Breen, confirmed that a special celebratory Mass will be held in the Abbey on Sunday February 19 at 11:00am to give thanks for the return of the relics. 

Making the announcement last Sunday Fr Breen said, “I asked myself on so many occasions why me?  Why did this have to happen on my watch, so to speak? I cannot tell you how elated I am at the return of the relics and the great news that they are in great conditions. I have absolutely no doubt that the power of prayer brought them back.”

Announcing the special Mass he said, “I cannot thank the Gardaí enough for their efforts in the investigation. I think they have done a wonderful service to the community and they are deserving of our praise. The people of the parish and the wider community too deserve mention for their support. I received e-mails from all over the world offering support from as far away as Canada, the USA, Korea and Brussels."
 
“To them all, we own a big debt of gratitude for helping to keep our spirit up when days were dark.  The Mass will be offered for all their intentions.”