Friday, March 13, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Father,

teach us to lead good lives,

encourage us with your support

and bring us to eternal life.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

We hear of the vineyard owner whose tenants killed his servants and then his son.

Let us be called open our hearts and lives
to the challenge of your Gospel.

It is possible to say it every day



Intercessions

Let us praise his goodness, and ask him from our hearts:
Lord, have mercy on us.

You went up to Jerusalem to suffer and so enter into your glory,
- bring your Church to the Passover feast of heaven.
Lord, have mercy on us.

You were lifted high on the cross and pierced by the soldier's lance,
- heal our wounds.
Lord, have mercy on us.

You made the cross the tree of life,
- give its fruit to those reborn in baptism.
Lord, have mercy on us.

On the cross you forgave the repentant thief,
- through which we are cleansed of our sins.
Lord, have mercy on us.

Closing Prayer

Loving God, Caring parent,
I am a child who so often turns my back
on your love.


Please accept my small acts of sorrow today
and help to release me from the self-absorption
that closes my heart to you.


As I journey through Lent,
let me remember the feast you have prepared for me
in the resurrection
and let me be filled with thanks to you.