Thursday, September 12, 2024

Sexual abuse survivor calls for State apology

David Ryan, who featured in the Blackrock Boys documentary which led to the scoping inquiry into alleged abuse at schools run by religious orders, has called on the State to issue an apology to victims and survivors.

The scoping inquiry found that there were 2,395 allegations of sexual abuse in relation to 308 schools recorded by the religious orders that ran the schools.

The allegations were made about 884 distinct alleged abusers.

Since the publication of the report, the adult sexual abuse counselling service One In Four has received over 300 calls.

Mr Ryan's phone has also been ringing nonstop for the past week, with calls from friends, family and the media wondering what his thoughts are regarding the scoping inquiry report.

"I'm being honest, I haven't read the report. It's just too much, too raw. Too soon. I'll do it on my own time, but what has come out, I'm happy with," he said.

"There are mixed emotions. Some people aren't too happy, some people are happy.

David Ryan and his brother Mark had been sexually abused repeatedly on the campus of Blackrock College during the 1970s

"But I'm going to sit on the fence at the moment. I'll do it in my own time when I'm ready."

According to the scoping inquiry report, the religious orders’ records indicate that over half of the 884 persons accused of historical sexual abuse are known to be deceased.

Mr Ryan’s perpetrators are amongst that cohort.

His mission is to see other alleged victims and survivors get justice.

The scoping inquiry has "set the ball rolling" but he wants to see the commission of investigation to be completed quickly.

State apology

In May 1999, former taoiseach Bertie Ahern apologised on behalf of the Irish people to victims of childhood abuse in residential institutions run by religious congregations.

A Commission of Inquiry was established with the primary focus of providing victims with an opportunity to tell their stories of the abuse they suffered and a redress board was established.

The Ryan Report was published in 2009.

David Ryan said another apology is necessary.

"I know Bertie Ahern did his, but another one has to be done now because there's more people that have been hurt, severely hurt, and the pain is still there. I mean, we're all suffering still", he said.

The scoping inquiry by senior council Mary O’Toole and her team got under way in March 2023.

It involved people speaking to the Inquiry’s Survivor Engagement team about their childhood experiences, the impact on them as children and as adults up to the present day.

Scoping inquiry participation

Mr Ryan described speaking to the scoping inquiry team as "a very, very tough day", however, he knew he ad to do it.

David Ryan said a commission of investigation needed to be done 'quickly' and redress dealt with

"Some people were in for a couple of hours. I know Mark was in for over two and a half hours doing his. I don't know how long I was.

"I was there for a while, but it's tough. A lot of questions, but if you don't answer the questions, they can't go any further with it. The more they got, the more they can do and they got a 700-page report".

Mr Ryan said he and Mark, along with Liam O'Brien from RTÉ's Doc on One "opened a huge can of worms", which he said "had to be done".

Commission of Investigation

The report recommended that a Commission of Investigation be established and that victims and survivors receive redress.

Minister for Education Norma Foley has also not ruled out the inclusion of state schools in an inquiry.

Mr Ryan said a commission of investigation needed to be done "quickly" and redress dealt with.

"It cannot be put back and put back. I mean, I never know when I'm going to go. I would like this before I go, for my sake and for Mark's sake," he said.

"Everything has to be done. I just can't emphasise this so much. I mean, (they need to) stop sitting on their backsides now. Come on, let's get this up and going."

Through help and guidance from One In Four and counselling from Towards Healing, which provides professional support for people who have experienced institutional, clerical or religious abuse in Ireland, Mr Ryan is learning to cope and "decode" his brain from being "brainwashed as a child".

"There are dark days still," he said.

"I mean, there's certain anniversaries, certain days that it will always just trigger straight away, but I'm learning to cope with it," he said.

Advice for victims and survivors

The scoping inquiry report pointed out that the CSO's 2022 Sexual Violence Survey showed low levels of men-reported sexual violence, including sexual violence experienced in childhood.

The CSO suggested that, in the age cohort of persons aged 35 years and older, some 15,300 men and 26,000 women are estimated to have experienced sexual violence as a child in a school.

Asked if he had any advice for people who may have experienced abuse but have not been able to speak about it yet, Mr Ryan said they should pick up the phone.

He pointed out that some may not feel ready to go to gardaí, but should call One In Four.

"They will guide you in what to do and where to go, that's how to do it, talk to them and once you talk to them, it'll flow," he said.

Grieving Mark

David's grief for Mark has become evident in recent weeks, he acknowledges the grieving process is likely to have been stalled due to the distraction of the scoping inquiry.

"I have his photographs in my bedroom and his urn is up in the room with me and the awards that we got for the Doc on One are all there.

"Every day I see him, and he has that smile on his face and I look at him and say, look at you, Mark Ryan."

David and his family and close friends will say goodbye to Mark on his anniversary at the end of this month when they scatter his ashes on Dublin Bay.

"It’s bittersweet," he said.

"I miss him terribly."