Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Apology from Archbishop over absence from healing ceremony

The Archbishop of Canberra-Goulburn, Christopher Prowse, says he regrets his decision not to attend a healing ceremony for abuse victims at a Marist college and has asked for forgiveness for any offence it may have caused.

Archbishop Prowse was invited to the Marist school's healing ceremony on Thursday night, but declined to attend.

A spokeswoman said on Friday that he had viewed it as a "Marist-specific" event, and that he had wanted to wait for the royal commission to end so the archdiocese could hold its own.

Late on Friday night, the Archbishop issued a statement, which expressed his regret for not attending.

"Some victims of child abuse have been offended by my non-attendance at the recent Liturgy of Lament at Marist College, Canberra," he said.

"In hindsight, I believe they are correct.

"I should have been there to support directly survivors who have suffered terribly at the school in past times.

"I regret my decision. I ask sincerely for forgiveness from those whom I have offended."

Statement from Archbishop Prowse