Sunday, August 18, 2024

Laois priest to jump out of aeroplane for church repairs

A young Laois priest is planning to jump out of an aeroplane at 10,000ft to try and improve facilities in his churches.

Fr David Vard, administrator of the Parish of Stradbally, Vicarstown and Timahoe will be joined in his airborne adventure by 11 brave parishioners.

He arrived to the Stradbally parish a year ago, having previously served in Portlaoise Parish which he joined after being ordained as the youngest priest in Ireland.

His enthusiasm and energy has helped him become a bit of a celebrity, as a guest on RTÉ's Tommy Tiernan Show and on the 2 Johnnies Podcast, running a marathon in July and now singing as part of the Timahoe Male Choir at Electric Picnic.

It is not his first jump, as Fr Vard told the Leinster Express / Laois Live.

"I did one when I was 16, in the Patrician Brothers school in Newbridge, to raise money for the Patrician Brothers in Kenya or India. I loved it, I was inspired by it to do this. I loved the free fall. I had a massive fear of heights and it cured it," he said.

"I've noticed since I began here that the sound system in the churches could use some upgrading. There's a lot of feedback, for choirs as well. At weddings or funerals, musicians have to bring their own speakers. I'm getting an expert to do an estimate but I'm sure what we raise can go a long way to help.

"I wanted to do something quirky to raise the money. I have 11 other parishioners with me, from Timahoe, Stradbally and Vicarstown. Anyone I asked said yes. They are all very brave. They go from lads in their 20s to women in their 50s. 

"It's a bit of fun, for a good cause, be it funerals, weddings or baptisms or regular Masses, it will help make them a better experience.  So if people think we are crazy enough to do it, we'll be delighted if they donate," Fr Vard said.

They have to raise €240 each to cover the skydive costs, and are expected to raise another €240 for their good cause.

"We would love to raise around €5,000, if we get more great," Fr Vard said.

The jump is scheduled to take place at Clonbullogue airfield in Offaly on October 6, weather permitting.  

Donate to their Gofundme page here.