Sunday, August 18, 2024

Cleric who spoke out against paedophile priest says he is still being shunned

Outspoken cleric Fr Paddy McCafferty has revealed he’s still shunned by some of his fellow clergy for speaking out against a paedophile priest.

He got an apology last week from the Catholic Church for the handling of his complaint against ex-priest James Donaghy, jailed for a series of sex offences in 2012.

Following a review, Bishop Alan McGuckian said recently the west Belfast cleric had shown “courage and leadership” in coming forward.

But the priests who ostracised him have never said sorry.

He’s also criticised the conduct of Bishop Patrick Walsh, who knew there were allegations against Donaghy in the late nineties, was told by Fr McCafferty that Donaghy was a danger to young men in 2001, and continued to defend the paedophile two years later.

Even when Donaghy was convicted in 2012, Bishop Walsh said he and Fr McCafferty were of “equal standing” because he was 19 when the assaults started. Bishop Walsh died in December 2023.

“It was like a sledgehammer when I read that. If someone said to a 19-year-old girl who was raped by a man in his thirties ‘well you were both adults’, it’s very similar,” says Fr McCafferty.

“I was no match physically, emotionally and psychologically for Donaghy. I hadn’t a chance.”

Donaghy, who served five years of a ten-year sentence, was a close associate of the late bishop and was put in charge of the Church’s holy year Jubilee celebrations in 2000.

In 2001 Fr McCafferty disclosed to Bishop Walsh he had been raped and abused by the priest after he saw him with a young boy. He later learned Donaghy was already abusing the child.

“He was Walsh’s right-hand man. Bishop Walsh has to answer for what he did. I don’t wish him any harm in the next world but he will have to answer,” he says.

“In the late nineties when I began to speak out it was deeply resented and I was branded a troublemaker and a nuisance. I was speaking out to deal with my own pain.

“For me it got to the point where I couldn’t go to clerical gatherings or conferences. I was shunned. I had hostile letters and phone calls from other priests.

“The animosity was mostly from priests, not people. None of them have ever apologised to me, and there are still some who don’t acknowledge me but that’s their problem.

“I’ve had enough support from brother priests and the support and love from people in the parishes of Poleglass, Turf Lodge, Oldpark, Ballymurphy. That’s what kept me strong and kept me going.”

It wasn’t until 2004 that Donaghy, by then in a parish in Bangor, was removed from ministry.

He was later convicted of 23 sex offences against three victims, including Fr McCafferty, and when a fourth victim came forward, he pleaded guilty and was given a two-year concurrent sentence in 2013.

Eighteen months ago the Down and Connor diocese started a review of Bishop Walsh’s handling of the case and treatment of Fr McCafferty.

On August 1 Bishop McGuckian released a statement saying: “Father McCafferty came forward out of concern for others who could be at risk. He showed courage and leadership in the face of incredulity, disbelief and animosity on the part of many, including clergy of the diocese.”

It added: “Courageous victims have led the way in uncovering abuse. Fr Paddy’s speaking out has encouraged others to come forward.

“I welcome this and in turn I encourage anyone who has suffered abuse to come forward. We, as a diocese, will ensure that our response is victim-centred, professional and just.”

Fr McCafferty (61) says the apology was like a weight being lifted off him.

He developed complex PTSD, bulimia and anorexia, and suffered serious physical health issues as a result of Donaghy’s assaults. “I feel as if the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders,” he says.

“I was left as the walking wounded 41 years ago and I have always had this hanging over me. Now I don’t know myself.

“I’m focused on helping other survivors and that’s what I have been doing for years

“Two and a half years ago I started facing my pain and this is the end of that process.

“I’m hoping this will give other people the courage to come forward.”

Despite his experience Fr McCafferty says he’s never regretted joined the priesthood.

“This has proved to be my calling and I’m so happy I’m a priest in spite of the burden I was carrying,” he says.