Friday, November 18, 2016

Kerry diocesan priest publishes new book about cancer battle

https://frpatmooredotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/img_0118.jpg?w=676A County Kerry priest whose blog detailing his cancer battle has been read by over 40,000 people plans to launch a book this week detailing his battle with cancer and his life as a priest.

Fr Pat Moore’s new book, Weather A Storm, will be launched in the Listowel Arms Hotel next Friday night, November 18 at 7.30 pm by his close friend, the film-maker Gerard Barrett.

The book looks back on 58-year-old Fr Moore’s career, including his time spent in Rome, Listowel, Gneeveguilla, Lixnaw, Duagh, and Lyre, as well as his time growing up in Asdee. 

He also uses some extracts from his CaringBridge blog and his new website www.frpatmoore.com.

Fr Pat, who has been a Kerry diocesan priest for 34 years and is currently parish priest of Duagh, finished his treatment for oesophageal cancer two months ago, and has written fifteen chapters about his life, saying that writing them kept him feeling positive.

“I discuss my first illness and how that shaped me for what was ahead,” he said. “There is so much in the book about my life and so much more.”

He continued: “Professor Brendan Kennelly said to me ‘the opposite to depression is expression’ and writing the book has kept my spirits up. It has allowed me to become more reflective. I’ve got great support, comfort and inspiration from this site as it keeps lines of communication open with so many friends and acquaintances at home and abroad.”

Fr Moore is also well known for his blog and website. Speaking about them recently, Fr Moore said,  “For me, with people and friends around the diocese, I wanted to communicate directly and put the story out. I wanted to be as honest and transparent as possible.”

He added that “one of the main questions that people visiting my blog have been asking me is ‘what can I do for you?’” He answers emphatically: “Give blood. I had to have four units of blood since last Saturday and I am so grateful for the gift of giving.”

Fr Moore’s blog can be viewed at caringbridge.org under Fr Pat Moore.

Copies of the book signed by Fr Pat Moore will be on sale on the night and a €1 donation from each book sold will be given to the Kerry-Cork Health Link Bus.