Wednesday, December 19, 2012

UnDaunted: A letter to Cardinal Brady

Dear Sean,

I know. 

Ignoring your eminent title might not put me in your good books but hey, what would Jesus say? 

I don’t think he was into titles so I’ll stick to Sean.

You’ve been a busy boy in last 12 hours. 

No sooner had the ink dried on Enda’s speech and you were already swinging the crozier and spitting fire and brimstone.

One sentence really caught my eye. 

Can I massage your ego and quote it back at you? 

It says

The unavoidable choice that now faces all our public representatives is: will I choose to defend and vindicate the equal right to life of a mother and the child in her womb in all circumstances, or will I choose to license the direct and intentional killing of the innocent baby in the womb?”

Oh dear Sean. 

You’ve a bit of a record on unavoidable choices. 

Remember when you were 32 and you were climbing the theocratic corporate ladder of Canon Law? 

I bet you do.

Did you choose to vindicate the equal rights of a priest accused of rape and his victims or did you choose to scare the life out of two twelve year old boys raped by a serial paedophile by swearing them to secrecy to avoid scandal in the church?

And now you think you can swing the crozier and tell us how to think about women who face Crises pregnancy. 
And believe me they are all in crisis. 

Abortion is not an easy choice. 

It is not a lifestyle choice as some of your fellow pro-lifers say.

You do have the right to hold your opinions and beliefs but Sean, the time that you can lecture us is well passed. Ireland has changed. 

We’re not all catholic. 

We’re not all white. 

We are becoming a multi-ethnic society. 

544,357 people came to live in Ireland according to the 2011 census. 

They have different values. 

They know wrong from right but it’s not your version of right and wrong. 

The moral blanket has been pulled from you. 

Never forget that.