Monday, February 18, 2008

New priest takes over two parishes

A new priest has travelled all the way from Africa to take the helm at the Roman Catholic churches in Bourne and The Deepings.

Father Clement Orango, who is based at St Gilbert's Road in Bourne, is originally from Kenya but arrives in Lincolnshire via Sudan.

And after spending three years in war-torn Sudan, Fr Orango (32), now has one eye on his homeland, where since elections in December violent clashes between rival factions have led to the deaths of 1,000 people and made more than 300,000 homeless.

His family lives in the village of Kerubo and are all safe, although his sister's home was burnt in the violence and her family currently lives in a camp in the Rift Valley.

After speaking with his mother, Fr Orango said: "My mother comforted me to say they phoned to say they are alive but not very safe where they are.

"When I left Kenya, everything was fine. In Kenya we don't want war and hope it will be resolved quickly so my family will be safe, including my mother."

He is fully aware of the impact of civil war after his years in Sudan. He said: "I never saw people walking down the road with guns until I went to Sudan."

Now he hopes for a peaceful time in the parishes of St Gilbert's Church in Bourne and Our Lady and St Guthlac in The Deepings
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce