Cardinal Connell has claimed that 5,586 documents given to the Dublin Child Abuse Commission by Archbishop Martin last month are either legally privileged or confidential.

Yesterday, Mr Justice Iarfhlaith O’Neill indicated the High Court would facilitate an early hearing and adjourned the matter until next Monday.

Speaking yesterday, Archbishop Martin said: “He simply called me and told me that his legal advisers had unanimously advised him to go to the High Court. He was not able to tell me the details of that... it’s still a little bit unclear exactly what the nature of this case is.

“I said I was surprised but that I didn’t know what the nature of the matter was. He says that this is very specific question about procedures within the tribunal and nothing else.

“I have got many letters and emails from people where this has exploded again in their lives and people who have been trying to cope with what happened to them. I’d like to reassure them that I am doing my work as best I can and I want to continue that way.”

Those words were echoed by Cardinal Sean Brady, who said: “The Irish bishops are united and determined in their efforts to facilitate the establishment of the truth in this matter, because that is essential to moving on to acknowledging the hurt — that’s crucial.

“New policies are being put in place, people are being trained, but justice must be ensured for everybody,” he said.