Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fr Tom flies the banner for Limerick

Fr Tom Carroll at the church in Parteen, Co Clare, which lies on the border between Limerick and Clare. The Munster rivals are gearing up to clash in Sunday's All Ireland hurling semi-final tomorrow. Picture: Brian Arthur/Press 22.A priest whose parish straddles the Clare/Limerick border admitted yesterday he will be “storming the heavens” at Sunday Mass tomorrow for the Limerick hurlers, even though most of his flock will be cheering on the Banner in Croke Park when the counties clash in the All Ireland senior hurling semi-final. 

The winners will face Cork.

“I hope it doesn’t hit my Christmas dues collection,” said Fr Tom Carroll.” But I’m an out-and-out Limerick hurling follower all my life.”

More than 3,000 of the 5,000 parishioners in Parteen/Meelick/Coonagh parish are Clare natives, and Fr Tom’s house and parish church are in the Clare village of Parteen. 


Fr Tom, 63 said: “If Clare win I won’t be seen for a week. But if Limerick win I’ll be back first thing Monday morning, going up and down the main street of Parteen with the Limerick flag out the window of my car.”

Fr Tom spent nine years as parish priest of Southill in Limerick City before moving to his Clare/Limerick parish seven years ago. 


“My parochial house is just between the church and Molly Browne’s pub which is very convenient. If I wasn’t going to Croke Park on Sunday I’d be in Browne’s driving all my Clare parishioners mad.”

Fr Tom nearly made it onto the Limerick hurling team in his playing days and lined out at various times for Na Piarsaigh, Tournafulla, and his local team, Effin.

“I got a few trials for the senior Limerick team, but the spuds were my downfall,” he said. “I was too fond of them, and put on too much weight.”

If things don’t work out for his beloved Limerick tomorrow, Fr Tom will be in the right place for quiet contemplation: “I have a bed in the John’s Lane Augustinian Priory in the heart of the Liberties for the weekend. The prior, Fr Tony Egan, is putting me up. At Mass on Sunday I will be storming the heavens for Limerick. If things don’t go to plan I might be staying over a few days for some reflection.”