Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cardinal apology over paedophile

The head of the Catholic Church in Ireland has apologised over revelations that he failed to alert police about a notorious paedophile priest.

Cardinal Sean Brady, who has defended his role in a 1975 meeting where two children abused by Father Brendan Smyth were asked to take a vow of silence as part of the internal church investigation, also signalled that he would reflect on his future.

Senior clergymen removed Smyth from some priestly duties and recommended psychiatric treatment, but critics have said the failure to notify police at the time allowed Smyth to carry out a further 18-year reign of terror against children.

But addressing a congregation in St Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh, where he said Mass to celebrate the feast day of Ireland's patron saint, Cardinal Brady said sorry to those who felt let down.

"This week a painful episode from my own past has come before me. I have listened to reaction from people to my role in events 35 years ago," he said.

"I want to say to anyone who has been hurt by any failure on my part that I apologise to you with all my heart. I also apologise to all those who feel I have let them down. Looking back, I am ashamed that I have not always upheld the values that I profess and believe in."

Dr Brady, who has so far refused to resign despite intense pressure for him to step down, added: "Be certain that I will be reflecting carefully as we enter into Holy Week, Easter and Pentecost. I will use this time to pray, to reflect on the word of God and to discern the will of the Holy Spirit. I will reflect on what I have heard from those who have been hurt by abuse."

Dr Brady continued: "These are momentous times for the Church in Ireland. I believe the two years leading up to the 50th International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin will be among the most critical for us since the time of St Patrick.

"I deeply believe that God is calling us to a new beginning, to a time of Patrician energy, reform and renewal."

The majority of the 300-strong congregation applauded him after his apologetic homily and as he left the magnificent church at the close of St Patrick's Day mass.

"We didn't need to clap him," parishioner Maura McClean said afterwards, "because I think God will applaud him. But that was the reaction of the decent people of Armagh. I think he's a true genuine person who's done no wrong."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to us or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that we agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

SIC: II