Monday, January 11, 2010

Shamed Kluk priest became a boozy recluse

SHAMED priest Father Gerry Nugent became a drunken recluse after Polish student Angelika Kluk was brutally killed in his church, friends have revealed.

The alcoholic clergyman, who died this week, drank around the clock to battle the demons of his sleazy past.

Last night a close pal told the News of the World: "Gerry was a broken man - he was haunted.

"He barely went out and just sat at home for days on end, dressed in the same vest and jogging bottoms.

"He drank very heavily - he was hitting the bottle like never before. He was tormented and was clearly struggling to cope."

Fr Nugent - who was found dead of a suspected heart attack on Tuesday at his home in Govan, Glasgow - was priest at St Patrick's Church in Anderston when Angelika was killed by evil Peter Tobin.

Her body was found under the church floorboards in September 2006.

During Tobin's trial in April 2007, Fr Nugent claimed he had had sex with Angelika, 23, and was later convicted of contempt of court for his evasive answers.

He was forced to resign as a parish priest soon after the trial. In February 2007, Fr Nugent - who died aged 66 - revealed he was battling demons.

He said: "Clearly I have been looking for justice, mercy and forgiveness but it is only a gift that can be given."

He told how he retreated to a home, provided by the Catholic Church, in Milton, Glasgow, as he prepared to give evidence.

He continued: "I need to be in a place where I can try to be myself, but not denying myself or running away. I am going through my own priestly state, trying to go through the issues as best I can.

"I was looking forward to being a priest for 40 years next June. I've enjoyed being a priest so I'll just have to wait and see what takes place. I've tried always to be as faithful as I can."

Fr Nugent told how he tried to get 'medical and therapeutic help' for his boozing but admitted: "It's hard. I am like a displaced person - out of a home and a job. I need to find out who I am and prepare for the trial."

Tobin, 63 - who also killed Vicky Hamilton, 15, and Dinah McNicol, 18 - was jailed for life for Angelika's murder.

Fr Nugent - given 100 hours' community service for contempt of court - will be laid to rest with a Requiem Mass after a post mortem.

Last night, the Catholic Church said: "We are confident the funeral will take place at some stage this week. A venue is yet to be decided."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to us or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that we agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

SIC: NOTW