Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."


Opening Prayer
Let us pray
for the courage to follow Christ.

Father, help us to be like Christ your Son,
who loved the world and died for our salvation.
Inspire us by his love, guide us by his example,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation
Today we celebrate the Third Scrutiny,

as we journey to the font with those preparing for Baptism.

We are in our last week before Holy Week.

It seems that there is so much left to do, to ask for, to be open to, to surrender, to change.

Jesus assures us that he is the "resurrection and the life,"

that if we place our faith in him, we will never die.

"I am troubled now. Yet what should I say?

'Father, save me from this hour'?

But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour.

Father, glorify your name."

Today we beg for the graces we need and desire this week.
We ask for courage in the journey ahead.

If we are celebrating the Third Scrutiny,
with the Elect journeying to the font of Baptism,
then we'll probably be using the gospel about the raising of Lazarus.

Intercessions
Let us praise our loving Redeemer, who gained for us this season of grace.
Let us pray to him, saying:

Lord, create a new spirit in us.


Christ, our life, through baptism we were buried with you and rose to new life with you,

- may we walk today in newness of life.

Lord, you have brought blessings to all mankind,

- bring us to share your concern for the good of all.

May we work together to build up the earthly city,

- with our eyes fixed on the city that lasts forever.

Healer of body and soul, cure the sickness of our spirit,

- so that we may grow in holiness through your constant care.

Closing Prayer
My Loving Lord,
it's so hard to love the world sometimes
and to love it the way Jesus did seems impossible.


Help me to be inspired by his love and
guided by his example.


Most of all, I want to accept that I can't do it alone,
and that trying is an arrogance of self-centeredness.


I need you, dear God, to give me support in this journey.


Show me how to unlock my heart
so that I am less selfish.


Let me be less fearful of the pain and darkness
that will be transformed by you into Easter joy.