Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer

"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

March 25: Solemnity of the Annunciation

Opening Prayer
Lord,
you reward virtue
and forgive the repentant sinner.
Grant us your forgiveness
as we come before you confessing our guilt.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation
We know that this whole journey is about our reconciliation.

We know that God wants to forgive us.

We know we are preparing to renew our Baptismal promises,

and "refuse to be mastered by sin."

Today we hear the invitation and ask more earnestly.

In the marvelous discourse that follows his sign of healing,
Jesus says, "I am not seeking my own will but the will of him who sent me."
I am filled with a sense of sorrow and gratitude,
as I see what he did for me.

I tell you for certain that everyone who hears my message
and has faith in the one who sent me has eternal life and will never be condemned.
They have already gone from death to life.
John 5:24

Intercessions
Let us give thanks to God, our Father:
through the power of the Spirit he purifies our heart and strengthens us in love.
Let us humbly ask him:
Lord, give us your Holy Spirit.

Help us to receive good things from your bounty with a deep sense of gratitude;
-and to accept with patience the evil that comes to us.

Teach us to be loving not only in great and exceptional moments,
-but above all in the ordinary events of daily life.

May we abstain from what we do not really need,
-and help our brothers and sisters in distress.

May we bear the wounds of your Son,
-for through his body he gave us life.

Closing Prayer
Loving and merciful God,
I am so aware of my sins and weaknesses.


But as painfully aware of my faults as I am,
Let me also remember your tender love,
your gentle and limitless forgiveness.


I come before you filled with pain and guilt
but look into your eyes and see the forgiving love
I so long for in my life.


Help me to forgive the same way.


Teach me to love as you love.