Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer
Lord,
make this Lenten observance
of the suffering, death and resurrection of Christ
bring us to the full joy of Easter.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

This is the last day of the first part of Lent.
Our lesson is a powerful one.
The one person praying in the temple is proud of his spiritual accomplishments.
The other person is deeply humble before God,
and goes home having really named the graces desired.

Through our daily practices, we are placed with Jesus in suffering,
in growing surrender to the deaths of our life,
and in anticipation of the full joy of Easter

Keep me from any deadly sin.
Only you can save me!
Then I will shout and sing about your power to save.
Psalm 51:14

Intercessions
To make us his new creation, Christ the Lord gave us the waters of rebirth
and spread the table of his body and his word. Let us call upon him and say:

Lord, renew us in your grace.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, clothe us with compassion, kindness and humility,
- make us want to be patient with everyone.
Teach us to be true neighbors to all in trouble and distress,
- and so imitate you, the Good Samaritan.
May the Blessed Virgin, your Mother, pray for all those vowed to a life of virginity,
- that they may deepen their dedication to you and to the Church.
Grant us the gift of your mercy,
- forgive our sins and remit their punishment.

Closing Prayer
God of Mercy and Understanding,

I know that with help
I can open my heart more fully
to the mysteries of the suffering and death
of your son.
Help me to be humble in this journey
and remember that any mercy and compassion I feel
is a gift from you.
I await the joy of Easter with new longing and patience.