Friday, March 06, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Lord,
may our observance of Lent
help to renew us and prepare us
to celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

Our lesson today is about reconciliation.
Our Lord forgives us all our sins -
nothing can separate us from the love of God for us in Jesus.
And we are called to forgive others
with the same compassion, mercy, patience and love given to us.

Our Lenten practices help us to
experience the renewing love of God,
and they prepare us for our journey to Easter
to celebrate the mystery of our death to self
and rebirth in the new life Jesus won for us.

I do not wish the sinner to die, says the Lord,
but to turn to me and live.
Ezekiel 33

Intercessions

Thanks be to Christ the Lord, who brought us life by his death on the cross.
With our whole heart let us ask him:

By your death raise us to life.


Teacher and Savior, you have shown us your fidelity and made us a new creation by your passion,

- keep us from falling again into sin.

Help us to deny ourselves today,

- and not deny those in need.

May we receive this day of penance as your gift,

- and give it back to you through works of mercy.

Master our rebellious hearts,

- and teach us generosity.


Closing Prayer

Creator of my life,
renew me: bring me to new life in you.
Touch me and make me feel whole again.


Help me to see your love
in the passion, death and resurrection of your son.


Help me to observe Lent
in a way that allows me to celebrate that love.


Prepare me for these weeks of Lent
as I feel both deep sorrow for my sins
and your undying love for me.