Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Lord,
look upon us and hear our prayer.

By the good works you inspire
help us to discipline our bodies
and be renewed in spirit.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


Daily Meditation


The Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent take on a more penitential tone.
Our longing intensifies.

We know we have to work hard to resist temptation
and to change some of our bad habits.

We know that spiritual renewal won't come easy.

But we know that all we will ultimately be able to do
will come from God's inspiration - as a gift.

So we ask from a deeper and deeper place in our hearts.

We listen to the wonderful children's story about Nineveh.

They responded to God's word and repented.

Intercessions

Blessed be God, the giver of salvation, who decreed that mankind should become a new creation in himself,
when all would be made new. With great confidence let us ask him:
Lord, renew us in your Spirit.

Lord, you promised a new heaven and a new earth; renew us daily through your Spirit,
- that we may enjoy your presence for ever in the heavenly Jerusalem.

Help us to work with you to make this world alive with your Spirit,
- and to build on earth a city of justice, love and peace.

Free us from all negligence and sloth,
- and give us joy in your gifts of grace.

Deliver us from evil,
- and from slavery to the senses, which blinds us to goodness

Closing Prayer


Dear Lord,
I know you receive what is in my heart.


Let me be inspired by your words
and by the actions of your son, Jesus.


Guide me to make sacrifices this Lent
in the spirit of self-denial
and with greater attention to you
and to those around me.


Help me to believe that you will grant me this
because of the sacrifice Jesus made for me.