Saturday, April 15, 2017

Lent calendar prayer and reflection for 15 April - Holy Saturday

Image result for holy saturdayGod saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:1-2:2
This reading, as part of the Easter vigil, is a real affirmation of the created world and all the creatures within it. 

It is a reminder that God fashioned this world, our common home, out of love and saw goodness in everything.

For Sister Yvonne from Mbala in Zambia, this reading is a constant source of inspiration. She says: “Each time I read it, especially towards the end – whatever God created, he saw was good. Each day of my life, I look at everything – creation, people – and that is what comes to me. When I look I say, ‘Well this is what God has created and it is good.’

“If I find challenges with a person or a situation, I always go back to this idea: what God created was good. And I always then try to work on what I can do to make it good. To make it to how God created it first.

“So even in my work, in the people I encounter, I’ve worked a lot with children with special needs, with children with disabilities and that is what I try to do when I’m working with them, to actually help them and also make them see that they are good. And what we can do together to make their situation even better. So yes, those are the words that I really find inspirational, that whatever God created was good.”

Pray

Father, help me to restore goodness to the world, our common home. Help me always to acknowledge the goodness of creation. Amen.