St Zuze Vaz Home for retired priests of Mangalore diocese was blessed and inaugurated by Bishop Aloysius Paul D’Souza on Feb 27 at 10 am, with concelebrated Mass.
The new Home is located on a
plot, measuring 0.99 acres at St Antony’s Charity Institute, Jeppu.
Antony’s complex already has a modern building designed to accommodate a
dozen retired priests with a small chapel, dining room and visitors’
But, the diocese wanted to have one central facility.
old Mangalore diocese which included newly carved out Udupi diocese had a
retirement home for clergy, Vianney Home, since 1884 at the Fr Muller
Hospital complex at Kankanady.
Until 1956, Vianney Home was run as part
of the hospital and Jesuit clergy managing the hospital also resided in
In the 1980s the old residence was renovated and made
suitable to host 16 retired/old priests.
Since then Fr Muller
Institute has grown exponentially. The number of retired/old priests too
exceeded the capacity of Vianney Home.
At the late Monsignor Fred V
Pereira’s initiative, a modern building suitable for hosting 12 priests
was established at St Antony’s complex.
For the last few years,
the idea of having one centralized facility for retired priests got
crystallized and, accordingly, Bishop Aloysius blessed the foundation
for a new complex on January 1, 2015.
Spread over two floors,
the new home has a total of 34 rooms on single-occupancy basis (407 sq.
One floor accommodates the convent of care-taker nuns from
the Missionary Sisters of Jesus congregation.
There is also a hall for
There is provision for adding more rooms later.