Thursday, March 23, 2017

Lent calendar prayer and reflection for 23 March

Listen to my voice, then I will be your God and you shall be my people.

Jeremiah 7:23-28
In this passage from Jeremiah, God’s people do not listen to the voice of the Lord but instead follow the dictates of their own hearts.

In today’s society we are constantly connected: to emails, to phones, to the radio, to television, to music. 

We live busy lives, balancing work with making time for family and for friends, constantly rushing from one thing to the next. 

Pope Francis, in his encyclical Laudato Si’ refers to this as ‘rapidification’, a more intensified pace of life and work.

With all of this going on, how good are we at setting aside time to listen to God’s voice? You can hear something by accident but we cannot listen by accident. To listen we need to be attentive and present, it takes energy and time.

Pray

Lord, I pray for stillness and peace so that I may see your beauty around me. Amen.