A former priest previously convicted of sex abuse of an altar boy was indicted on 29 counts of sexual misconduct involving two other boys during his time as a priest based in the Archdiocese of Boston.
Ronald H. Paquin on Feb. 7 was charged in York County, Maine for
allegedly abusing two boys in Kennebunkport, Maine between 1985 and
Thirteen of the charges involve a child who was under the age of
14, the Boston Globe reports.
“When I found out he was released, I thought it was an outrage,”
Keith Townsend, 42, told the Boston Globe. “This guy has so many
Townsend, who said he is one of the victims involved in the
indictment, said the abuse began when he was 8 or 9. It allegedly took
place both in Massachusetts and at a camp in Kennebunkport. He said he
has struggled as an adult with substance abuse and attempted suicide.
He hopes additional victims will come forward.
The former priest, who was laicized in 2004, is not in custody but will be summoned to York County Superior Court.
Paquin was released from prison in 2015 after serving a 10-year
sentence related to the abuse of an altar boy, beginning when the victim
In 2002, he pleaded guilty to three counts of child rape. The
acts took place from 1989 to 1992 on a victim from Haverhill, Mass. The
priest was an associate pastor at a Catholic church there.
While in jail, he told medical evaluators he had abused at least 14 boys.
Upon his release, the former priest said that he planned to go to a
Boston homeless shelter, then seek sex offender treatment in Maine. He
is now 74 years old.
Paquin came to public prominence when the Boston Globe reported in
2002 that the Archdiocese of Boston moved him from a parish in 1981,
allegedly after learning about sex abuse allegations against him.
Paquin has said he himself was the victim of sex abuse when he was a
child. He said he was abused by other youths and then by a priest.