Saturday, December 17, 2016

Madonna Talks About Catholic Church Excommunication, Says She Wanted to Become a Nun

International singing sensation Madonna opened up about her excommunication by the Catholic Church and even shared her dream of becoming a nun during a taping of "Carpool Karaoke" with James Corden.

Madonna and Corden enjoyed singing classic songs from her old albums, according to The Christian Post. 

But in between songs, they also discussed the singer's personal life.

Madonna knows she has a bad girl image, but she said that's actually all that is — an image. "My work is rebellious, but my lifestyle isn't rebellious. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't party. I'm quite square," she told Corden as she compared herself to Julie Andrews. "That is the crux of the matter. I mean give me a nun's bit."

Corden said Madonna could never become a nun, but the singer confessed that she really wanted to become one when she was a young girl.

"I kind of wanted to be a nun when I was growing up, I did. I liked their uniform," she said before sexualising her comment: "It's kind of perverse. I imagined all sorts of things going on underneath that big long robe."

Madonna then said she has been excommunicated by the Catholic Church three times already. Corden could not believe what she said, but she assured him that it was true. 

"The Vatican has excommunicated me," she said before they started singing her hit song "Papa Don't Preach."

Her 1989 single "Like A Prayer" was heavily criticised by the Vatican because it depicted disrespectful scenes in the church. She has even been accused of blasphemy and mocking the church.

But for her part, Madonna said her use of Christian imagery is just proof of her devotion to Catholicism.

"I always feel some kind of inexplicable connection with Catholicism. It kind of shows up in all of my work, as you may have noticed," she told Rolling Stone.