Wednesday, October 05, 2016

John McAreavey thanks God for second chance

John McAreavey, whose wife Michaela Harte was murdered on the couple’s honeymoon in 2011, has remarried and thanked God for getting his life back on track.

Five years after the trauma and heartbreak of losing Michaela on the island of Mauritius, John has married Tara Brennan, with whom he worked at the Michaela Foundation, the charity established in his late wife’s honour to inculcate core values, including faith, in young people.

John has previously spoken publicly of how his faith sustained him during the “dark” years after Michaela’s untimely death, which countered the temptation to give in to despair.

“When I had those temptations to feel like that and to want to wallow in self-pity, to be left with the temptation there is no hope left, there was always something there that came to me to sustain me in those dark times and, I suppose, sustain my determination that I would get through this suffering,” he said.

When he announced his engagement to Tara last year, John said: “My fiancée Tara has shown me the beauty of life again, all the good things about life and what I have learned is that I am able to deal with anything that life puts in front of me because I know that I will always have God at my side.”