Monday, October 03, 2016

Church of Ireland Bishop of Clogher comments on the retirement of Bishop Liam McDaid

bishop-mcdowellFrom The Rt Revd John McDowell:

‘I have known for some time that my brother in Christ and in episcopal office, Bishop Liam McDaid, has not enjoyed good health, and have now learned that the Pope has accepted his resignation as Bishop of Clogher on grounds of ill health.

‘Bishop Liam has been a friend and constant source of encouragement to me since I came to Clogher in 2011. 

He is a son of the diocese and has served his entire priestly and episcopal ministry here. 

By contrast, I came to Clogher with little knowledge of the territory and found in Bishop McDaid a ready source of local knowledge and lore and always ready to share his experience and wisdom with me. 

His understated episcopal manner conceals a prodigious pastoral heart and love for his flock, who I know will miss his gentle words and reassuring touch.

‘It has been the greatest privilege to have served our Lord Jesus Christ together with Bishop Liam, in whatever small ways we could, and I look forward to continuing our friendship in his retirement.’