This quaint Roman Catholic Church located in the Czech Republic is known as the Cemetery Church of All Saints.
The name is a little strange
for a church, but straightforward.
That’s because, once
you step inside the church, you’ll see the bones from 40,000 – 70,000
people adorning the walls.
Thousands of human bodies are hanging from
the walls, ceilings and fixtures inside of this church.
It’s hard to determine if this is respect for the dead or some kind
of twisted art display.
Given that the bones were exhumed and arranged,
at the beginning, by a monk, it seems like it is the former.
Either way, it would be hard to take a breath inside of this church,
knowing that thousands of dead bodies surround you, forever silent.
1. You would never guess that something so gruesome is on display within this church.
2. Thousands of skeletons hang inside of this church, mainly in the Sedlec Ossuary which is located beneath the main room.
3. Needless to say, this creepy church is one of the Czech Republic’s most popular tourist destinations
4. People are drawn to morbid oddities
5. And a church filled with dead people arranged in decorative patterns is definitely morbid
6. Lots of the bodies were buried in the cemetery during the plague in the 14th century
7. In the 1400s, a church was built on top of the cemetery and all of the bones were exhumed and put in the ossuary below
8. An ossuary is a room that holds the bones of the dead, similar to a mausoleum
9. It’s hard not to be impressed by these terrible, but beautiful, works of art
10. Someone at the church seems to have a sense of humor