Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Singer claims priest verbally abused her over ‘Angel’ song

http://www.irishexaminer.com/media/images/e/exam081013SaraLaughlin_large.jpgA choir singer who claims she was verbally abused by a priest says she will not step inside her church again as long as he remains there.

Sara Laughlin says she was left in tears by Fr Shane Gallagher after singing at an anniversary Mass for her grandmother and uncle at St Bridget’s Church, Lettermacaward, Co Donegal, on Saturday.


The teacher and director of the Donegal Youth Choir said Fr Gallagher accused her of singing the Sarah McLachlan song Angel, written about heroin use in the music industry and often known as Arms of an Angel.

Ms Laughlin said she performed the Fr Liam Lawton song Voice of an Angel, which was in her hymn book.

She claims Fr Gallagher refused to accept her explanation, an argument ensued, and she was left in tears after he shouted at her.

She said last night: “I will not go back as I would be too frightened to be in the same room as that man.

“If he has just admitted he was wrong then there would never have been an issue.

“Instead, he refused to back down and shouted at me, reduced me to tears, and left me terrified.”

Ms Laughlin wrote about the incident on Facebook and received huge public support, including a note from Fr Liam Lawton.

Yesterday, the stand-off took another twist when the Bishop of Raphoe, Dr Philip Boyce, intervened.

Ms Laughlin was contacted by Bishop Boyce, who promised he would resolve the matter.

“Bishop Boyce said this was not a diocesan opinion but the opinion of one person,” said Ms Laughlin.

“He said he has heard me perform before at Knock and really enjoyed it.

“He asked me to put my faith in him that this matter would be resolved and I am doing that.”

Ms Laughlin said she did not know how Bishop Boyce planned to resolve the matter.

Fr Gallagher said that while he welcomed any resolution, he knew nothing of what it involved.

He issued a statement on the matter through his solicitor yesterday.

It is not believed Bishop Boyce was aware that Fr Gallagher was issuing a statement on the matter.

“I was happy to learn of the announcement that this matter has been resolved,” said Fr Gallagher’s statement. “I was not a party to the resolution of it and did not in any respect contribute to it, nor did I have any advance notice of it.

“As of 12.05pm today, I remain unaware of any details of the resolution announced. I wish to take this opportunity to refute the allegations made against me. I am hurt and appalled that a private conversation with Ms Sara Laughlin regarding the suitability of a particular song she sang at Communion time, during a Mass I celebrated last Saturday evening for her grandmother and uncle, has been so unfairly distorted and that, in consequence, I have been so vilified and abused in the social media.

“In the interests of the people I serve in Leitirmacaward and Doochary, I hope to be permitted draw a line under the matter and, to this end, I will be making no further comment.”

Ms Laughlin said she has received huge support from friends, family, and strangers since the incident, including nine different priests whom she knows through her work with the church.

“I didn’t go on to Facebook to start any campaign against Fr Gallagher,” said Ms Laughlin.

“But I had to write down what happened to me and to explain to people why I would not be singing at my church again.

“But the entire issue took on a life of its own as people felt I was very badly treated.

“Myself or my family cannot go back to the church we have dedicated our lives to while the person who done this to me is there.”