Saturday, July 27, 2013

Shamed Northern Ireland-born cardinal replaced in Scotland

Monsignor Leo Cushley who has been appointed Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh by the Roman Catholic Church during a press conference in EdinburghBallycastle-born Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who left his post as head of the Catholic Church in Scotland earlier this year after admitting inappropriate sexual conduct, has been replaced by Monsignor Leo Cushley.

Mgr Cushley (52) is currently head of the English language section of the Vatican's Secretariat of State and returns to Scotland where he was born and ordained a priest in Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, in 1985.

He will be ordained as archbishop in St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh, on September 21.

He said: "I am humbled that our Holy Father Pope Francis has nominated me for such an important task here in our ancient capital. I know it's a delicate moment and that there is a lot to be done but, with God's grace and the kind support of the clergy and people of Edinburgh, I will work cheerfully and willingly with all the energy I can muster."

Cardinal O'Brien stepped down after 27 years at the end of February when three priests and a former priest made allegations of inappropriate behaviour against him.

He later issued an apology, saying "there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me".