Thursday, January 10, 2013

Statement by Bishop Donal Murray on the appointment of Fr Brendan Leahy as Bishop of Limerick

I greatly welcome the Holy Father’s appointment of Father Brendan Leahy as Bishop of Limerick.  

I am sure that he undertakes his new ministry with some trepidation, but he will bring many gifts and wide experience to the task he now that now awaits him.  

He has a pastoral outlook; he has a fine theological mind; he has had many years of involvement in third level Catholic education; he has been deeply involved in work for Christian unity.

I am confident that he will receive the same warm welcome, the wholehearted cooperation and the friendship of the priests, religious and people of the diocese that I received on my arrival in the diocese and during the years that I was privileged to serve as bishop.

I offer him my personal prayers, support and best wishes for a fruitful and rewarding ministry as Bishop of Limerick.

+Donal Murray

Bishop Emeritus of Limerick

10 January 2013