Monday, September 24, 2012

Victims of paedophile Church worker back Royal Commission calls

Victims of a Hunter Valley paedophile church worker, who has had his jail time doubled, have backed calls for a Royal Commission into child abuse within churches.

Earlier this year, former Anglican youth worker James Michael Brown was sentenced to 10 years jail with six years non-parole.

Brown admitted abusing 20 boys, some as young as eight-years-old, mainly at Kurri Kurri between the 1970s and 1990s.

Yesterday the Court of Criminal Appeal doubled the 62-year-old's sentence, after finding he had been dealt with too leniently.

One of Brown's victims, "Phil" says a Royal Commission into abuse within religious organisations is long overdue.

"Yeah I'll be pushing for it myself," he said. "I'm not sitting on my backside now. I'm going on to Parliament myself to push for a Royal Commission. And it's how the Churches have all wrapped these paedophiles in cotton wool and protected the Church's good name."

Newcastle's Anglican Bishop Brian Farran has again expressed his regret for Brown's actions.

Another victim, "Ray" says the case further strengthens calls for a Royal Commission.

"Oh look I'd support a Royal Commission because I believe that it's not only the one Church," he said. "The main Church that we hear about is the Catholic Church, right, but what about all the other Churches, and to me it's a cover up. It's covering up everything and to me that's wrong."