Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cleric seeks word on rape case

FORMER Traditional Anglican Communion primate John Hepworth says he is seeking confirmation that his rape allegations against a Catholic priest are being assessed by South Australia's Director of Public Prosecutions.
 
Archbishop Hepworth said that he had not been notified that the long-running police investigation -- which began when the Adelaide archdiocese rejected mediation with him last year -- is now with the DPP, who has been asked for advice on whether charges should be laid.

"I've co-operated fully with the police over an extended period of time in doing my statement in relation to the complaint that I felt forced to make last year, when the church failed to take action in a way I could have been part of," he said.

"I myself am awaiting information from the police on the progress of their investigations."

It was reported at the weekend that South Australian Police had sent alleged evidence they have collected to the DPP to see if charges should be laid.
 
Police and the DPP have not confirmed nor denied the report.

Archbishop Hepworth claims to have been raped by three priests more than 40 years ago while he was in a Catholic seminary in Adelaide.

The alleged crimes occurred over a 12-year period, beginning in 1960 when Archbishop Hepworth was aged 15.

Independent senator Nick Xenophon used parliamentary privilege to name Catholic priest Ian Dempsey as one of the alleged perpetrators. 

Mr Xenophon declined to comment.

Monsignor Dempsey has vigorously denied the allegations.

"I am innocent of these allegations, which you used parliamentary privilege to name me," he said in a statement tabled in parliament. "You irreparably smeared me and denigrated my reputation."

Archbishop Hepworth said he hoped to talk to police this week.

"I understand that the police dossier on this matter was to be taken to the prosecutor for an opinion," he said.