Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Irish soccer player thanks God for his recovery

While much has been made in recent weeks of Irish gold medallist Katie Taylor's strong faith helping her in her battle for Olympic glory, an Irish soccer player this week revealed how he believes that his faith saved his career.

Republic of Ireland soccer International Joey Brien (26) feared he would never play again after suffering a serious knee injury while playing for Bolton Wanderers in the English Premiership. 

Now playing with newly promoted West Ham United, the defender, who made his comeback for the Republic of Ireland in their friendly against Serbia this week after 4 years in the wilderness, has made a remarkable journey back from the brink of retirement after being out of the game completely for almost three years.

The medical brilliance of London-based Andy William and American Bill Knowles provided the route back to the profession for the Dubliner with West Ham boss Sam Allardyce then handing him the potential to win a contract after being released by Bolton Wanderers 13 months ago. 

However O'Brien, who has a strong Catholic faith, is in no doubt that it was his deep religious belief that gave him the mental strength to persevere when the initial diagnoses was negative.

Speaking this week about his Irish recall he said, “I'm delighted to be back in; it's been a long time.  I didn't know if it would happen again. I was out injured for two and a half years.  My main concern was to get back from that and if I got back playing football then I might have a shout to return for Ireland. I thought I was going to have to pack it in so many times but thank God I got back. Of course I dug deep into my own self-belief. But I met some good people along the way. Operations were not successful and in the end I made it a success when I went over to a chap in America, Bill Knowles for rehab. He basically saved my career and this, plus my faith in God, kept me going through dark, dark times. I got back, luckily for me.”

Speaking about his faith he said, “I was always a religious person.  I was brought up in it by my parents, going to Mass every week.  I still go to Mass every week.  I think without it, I would not be back.”