Monday, February 27, 2012

Bishop talks about cancer fight

THE Roman Catholic Bishop of Portsmouth has spoken movingly about how cancer changed his outlook on life.

The Rt Rev Crispian Hollis, who is awaiting his successor after announcing his retirement, has written an emotional account of his fight with cancer in his Lent Pastoral Letter to his congregation.

The 75-year-old is making a good recovery after receiving treatment last year.

In his letter he said: ‘To say that this has changed my life and my outlook on life is a massive understatement. From being an active leader in good health and giving support and encouragement to others, I suddenly have become one of those needing support; for the first time in my life, I have received the Sacrament of the Sick and have become one of those listed in parish newsletters as being sick and in need of prayers.’

He added: ‘Many will think me crazy for describing my cancer as a moment of grace but that is precisely how I am beginning to see it already, through talking and praying and sharing my experience with others.’

The Bishop, who has spent 23 years in the job, said he felt positive about the future.

He said: ‘I have a strong sense that whatever lies ahead will be extraordinary and transforming and certainly not in my control. I feel very peaceful about the future.’