Monday, January 09, 2012

Cardinal George’s Apology

Statement from Francis Cardinal George, OMI

Archbishop of Chicago

January 6, 2012

During a recent TV interview, speaking about this year’s Gay Pride Parade, I used an analogy that is inflammatory.

I am personally distressed that what I said has been taken to mean that I believe all gays and lesbians are like members of the Klan.  I do not believe that; it is obviously not true.  

Many people have friends and family members who are gay or lesbian, as have I.  

We love them; they are part of our lives, part of who we are. 

I am deeply sorry for the hurt that my remarks have brought to the hearts of gays and lesbians and their families.

I can only say that my remarks were motivated by fear for the Church’s liberty.  

This is a larger topic that cannot be explored in this expression of personal sorrow and sympathy for those who were wounded by what I said.

Francis Cardinal George, OMI