Thursday, December 01, 2011

Retired Derry bishop 'deeply sorry'

Retired Bishop of Derry Dr Séamus Hegarty has said he is "deeply sorry" that anyone was hurt through his management of allegations historically.

In a statement following the publication of the audit reports of the National Board for Safeguarding Children, Dr Hegarty noted the had asked the board at about this time last year to include the diocese in the first group being reviewed.

"I am grateful that they agreed," he said in a statement.

He noted yesterday's report indicated police and social services had full confidence in the current management of allegations in the Diocese of Derry.

"However, both the Derry and the Raphoe reports indicate deficits in the management of allegations historically, including during my time as bishop. These deficits cannot be undone and, at the personal level, I am sorry that this is the case."

Dr Hegarty said he had been a diocesan bishop for 30 years, first in Raphoe and later in Derry.

"I now look back and know that my practice in the past was sometimes poor and I am deeply sorry that anyone was hurt through my management of allegations historically. I know that I made big efforts to improve as time went on and this is reflected in the Derry report."

"Today I think of the men and women whom I met, over my years as diocesan bishop, who were abused as children by priests. I think of their courage and their pain and pray that healing may be theirs. It is for their sake, as well as for the good of children throughout the Church, that we must ensure that the past is never repeated."

The Diocese of Derry now has “very clear procedures” for the management of allegations against priests in the diocese, the National Board for Safeguarding Children said in its review.

The reviewers noted “significant improvement” in the management of allegations since the last review of practice in 2009.