Sunday, December 04, 2011

2nd Sunday Of Advent (2011)

"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

People of Zion, the Lord will come
to save all nations,
and your hearts will exult
to hear his majestic voice.
We begin this second week of our Advent journey
with this wonderful proclamation of the end of our exile.
Even in the wasteland of our lives,
there will be a smooth highway for our God.
Let us experience today what it will be like to be
freed from the power of our sins to hold us captive.
Our longing, our desire:
that we might be set free.
“Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.”

Intercessions:
To the Lord Jesus Christ, judge of the living dead,
    let us pray:
    Come, Lord Jesus!

Lord Jesus, you came to save sinners,
- protect us in times of temptation.

You will come in glory to be our judge,
- show in us your power to save.

Help us to keep the precepts of your law with the strength
    of the Spirit,
- and to look forward in love to your coming.

You are praised throughout the ages; in your mercy help
    us to live devoutly and temperately in this life,
- as we wait in joyful hope for the revelation of your
    glory.

Dear Lord,
Through the darkness, I look for your wisdom.
I want my heart to be open to you.
But sometimes in these days, it seems that
so many things come between us.
Help me to be awake and aware
of the radiance you bring to my life.
Help me to be grateful each day
for the blessings of family and friends.
Let me be a peacemaker
in my own life, and in the world.
Let me pray especially for this difficult world
and those who are so in need of an end to violence.
My heart begs for this as my Advent prayer today.
May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.