Monday, September 26, 2011

Father Bob hopes he can stay on

South Melbourne priest Father Bob Maguire is launching a plea to the Church to avoid being made to retire, reports the Herald Sun.

Father Maguire, 77, said the community he had served for more than 37 years still needed him. He is required to retire on February 1, but his supporters were "ramping up their efforts" for a reprieve, the report said.

The parish priest for Saint Peter and Paul's parish said it "doesn't make sense" for him to step aside. "'We are asking headquarters are we doing something wrong? No one can tell us that we are and things around here have prospered," he said.

"I want a happy ending for all and I believe I have the X factor on my side - God."

"And until yesterday, I had no hope, none, but a third party who is friendly with both sides has come to me and is trying to come up with a solution that is best for everyone," he said.

"We are saying to headquarters that we respect what you are saying, but we are doing great work here and really wish to keep doing so."

Fr Maguire was due to retire in 2009 at age 75 but the Archbishop of Melbourne relented after an outcry of public support.