Thursday, July 14, 2011

Magee accepts Cloyne report's findings

Former Bishop of Cloyne John Magee has apologised after the commission of investigation into the diocese criticised his response to clerical sexual abuse.

In a report published today, Commission of Investigation Report into the Catholic Diocese of Cloyne said the response of the diocese was “inadequate and inappropriate” and that the primary responsibility for the failure to implement the agreed child sexual abuse procedures lies with Dr Magee, who resigned as bishop last year.

“I again sincerely apologise to all those who were abused by priests in the Diocese of Cloyne for my failure to ensure that they were fully supported and responded to in their time of need,” Dr Magee said in a statement today.

“When the church procedures were published in 1996, they were intended to be a new beginning for the church in dealing with allegations and supporting complainants. While I was fully supportive of the procedures, I now realise that I should have taken a much firmer role in ensuring their implementation,” he said.

Dr Magee said he accepts “in its entirety” the commission’s view that the primary responsibility for the failure to fully implement the church procedures in the diocese lay with him.

“Given my position of responsibility, I am particularly saddened when I read the accounts of the complainants describing the effects of the abuse, knowing that I contributed to their distress.

“I have met some of the complainants personally and heard their stories. The people, who were so terribly abused by priests, found the courage to come forward to talk to me, or to my delegate, Msgr O’Callaghan who was representing me, and in many cases, we failed them,” said Dr Magee.

“I am sorry that this happened and I unreservedly apologise to all those who suffered additional hurt because of the flawed implementation of the Church procedures, for which I take full responsibility.”