Saturday, July 16, 2011

Clifford defends allowing Magee to stay on as Bishop of Cloyne

ARCHBISHOP OF CASHEL AND EMLY: THE ARCHBISHOP of Cashel and Emly Dr Dermot Clifford has defended his decision to allow Dr John Magee to continue as Bishop of Cloyne after he learned that Dr Magee had kissed and embraced a 17-year-old youth in an inappropriate manner.

Dr Clifford publicly expressed his confidence in early January 2009 in Dr Magee continuing as Bishop of Cloyne after the publication of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church report, which found child-protection practices in Cloyne were inadequate and dangerous.

Dr Clifford had also been made aware that a complaint had been made by a 17-year-old youth that Dr Magee had kissed him on the forehead, embraced him tightly and told him he loved him and that he had dreamed about him when the two met alone.

Dr Clifford said he did not believe that a complaint of inappropriate behaviour by Dr Magee merited his removal as bishop.

“The incident is one that was not reportable according to all the people we asked. I was aware of it and I was not going to make a judgment on Bishop Magee’s future as I saw it on the basis of that particular incident which was found not to be sexual abuse.”

Dr Clifford said when he was asked about it by Judge Yvonne Murphy’s commission, he agreed that on one view of the incident might be that it was “grooming” by Dr Magee but he did not concur with that view.

“I was asked on a sinister interpretation would I think it was grooming, and I said ‘on a sinister interpretation, yes’, but on a benign interpretation, it was a young man who was distraught and he tried to console him and acted inappropriately and that’s still my view.”

Dr Clifford told the press conference at a Cork city hotel that he did not know where Dr Magee is as he has not had any contact with him recently.

“I would be very happy if he was sitting here today and it’s a pity he isn’t, but he has chosen to issue a statement.

“It would be helpful if he was here,” he said, adding that Dr Magee had indicated some time back that he would not meet the media at this point.

“I don’t know where he is, I haven’t contacted him,” he added. “I’ve decided to distance myself from him so that I don’t get emotionally involved in his side of things, to be objective and that’s why I haven’t had any contact with him in recent times.”

He did not believe Dr Magee was “up to standard” on the issue of child protection .